Friday, March 30, 2012

Madonna made "the biggest mistake of her career" - Paul Van Dyk

Sometimes your a legend for a reason, be it you've outpaced anyone in your chosen profession or you've gained the love an admiration from the crowd.  Paul Van Dyk has been doing both for a long time in the EDM game.  So when he sounds off on Madonna you don't have a choice but to listen.  

In the article PVD also gives Americans some respect and says we were building the EDM movement before the crappy pop artists turned to our genre.  Read more in the bill board article below




(billboard.com)Madonna made "the biggest mistake of her career" at Ultra Music Festival, says electronic music veteran Paul van Dyk.

"I don't think she was thinking much," said the DJ/producer. "The only thing she was probably thinking was, 'I need to connect with a young crowd,' and she made the biggest mistake of her career."
Madonna & Deadmau5 Tweet, Make Up After 'Molly' Spat **

Van Dyk joins Deadmau5 -- who had a much-publicized Twitter spat with the singer -- in condemning comments she made while introducing Ultra headliner AVICII on Saturday (March 24) to an all-ages crowd of over 50,000. The pop diva praised EDM culture, saying "Electronic music has been a part of my life since the beginning of my career," then posed a question heard 'round the world: "How many people in this crowd have seen Molly?"

Molly is a street name for ecstasy and its derivatives.

"Madonna was so stupid to actually call out drug abuse in front of a crowd of 18-year-olds," said van Dyk. "This is not what our music is about. It's really counterproductive."

Following the comment -- and a Deadmau5-led backlash -- Madonna posted an explanation on Twitter **. "I don't support drug use and I never have," she said. "I was referring to the song called 'Have You Seen Molly' written by my friend Cedric Gervais who I almost worked with on my last album."

AVICII PUT MADONNA REMIX TOGETHER IN 3 DAYS

Prepping for the April 3 release of "Evolution" (Vandit), his first album in five years, Van Dyk has made no bones in the press lately about his opinion on America's current "EDM explosion."
"I think we have a problem with calling it a new movement or a breakthrough in America," he says. "We had massive festivals in the mid-'90s; I remember playing big shows, like Electric Daisy in L.A. in 2008, which drew something like 65,000 people. This was before the pop artists started to sound danceable, so in a way it's not really something that needed a breakthrough. I think what people are referring to these days is a popped-down version of what our music actually is. I hope those pop stars all go back where they came from and do their normal pop music again."