Friday, June 22, 2012

Flux Pavilion Interview with Mixmag

Article taken from MixMag

BIG QS: FLUX PAVILION
"The co-founder of Circus Records and possibly the hottest commodity in dubstep right now answers the same questions we ask every month.
What’s been your worst job?
Working at Little Chef – though in hindsight I developed some pretty mean breakfast cooking skills.
What did you want to be when you grew up?
An actor 
What’s the worst club you’ve been to?
That’s a tough one. I cant remember what most of them are called!
What are you obsessed with right now?
Ownership of a Segway has been an ongoing thing for the past year – I’m toying with the idea. But right now I’m drinking more than my fair share of hot chocolate.
And what do you hate right now?
People who dawdle and bumble around in public. Especially in supermarkets. I might buy a stun gun. 
When and where were you happiest?
I’m happiest when I forget that I’m sad, so right now, at home in the studio.
How would you describe what you do to someone who doesn’t know you?
I write music for a living.
Have you ever been arrested? And if so, what for?
No, though I once tried to get arrested by dressing up as a homeless person and loitering around a police station to see what it was like to spend a night in a cell. 
What’s the best record ever made? 
I’m into so much stuff I can’t answer that without feeling guilty! 
What’s the coolest thing in your house?
I have a collapsible bench made out of cardboard, but the coolest thing is probably my piano. 
What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever had?
Stop thinking so much. 
Who’s your all-time hero, and why?
Frank Zappa. The way he approached music is unforgettable. A true genius. 
What do you collect – apart from records?
Dust. I have a pretty large collection around the flat. 
What’s your vice?
Smoking 
Who was your first love, and what happened?
I’ll tell you when I meet her. 
What were you doing at 2pm last Sunday afternoon?
I was exporting stems for Example’s live band, in my dressing gown. 
What’s your answer to everything?
‘Ask me later.’
What’s your most prized possession that you’ve still got from when you were a kid?
My body, though it’s a lot more battered than it used to be. 
What was your last proper treat for yourself?
A celebratory KFC after our Maida Vale session. 
What do you spend your money on? 
Stuff that I think is great but that makes most people around me think I’m a lunatic. The only reason I haven’t bought a Segway is to stop them from moaning at me.
What can’t you live without?
My friends and family.
Do you have a recurring dream? 
No, though I tend to dream in feature-length films. The last one was about zombies and time travel.
 
What would you change about yourself if you could?
You know what? I’m not perfect, but after twenty-three years I’ve just about managed to put up with myself, so I’ll stick with it.
What’s the worst item of clothing you’ve ever worn?
A shirt with a blue dragon on it, from the market. 
If you had a Tardis, what time would you go to? 
Back to the sixties. 
What’s your lamest claim to fame?
I once got a joke printed in The Sun: ‘Heard the one about the bloke who crashed his car into a German sausage factory? He took a turn for the wurst.’ Pretty lame."