Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hardwell Boston Show Elevates Ocean Club to Next Level


By Deirdre:

“How AMAZING was tonight?!” my friend Leah giggled as we sat outside watching the sun come up. The meteor shower had just ended and it really was the icing on the cake to a perfect night. It was Leah’s first time ever going to Ocean Club and she hadn’t stopped talking about the show since it ended at 1. Now don’t make assumptions here, Leah’s been to plenty of EDM shows and she knows a good show versus a bad one. But I haven’t heard her rave about a show like this since Rusko at the Mullin’s Center in Amherst back in February.

Going to Ocean Club with a first timer was interesting. I’ve been going almost every Sunday since May while I still enjoy myself the Miami themed clubs’ sparkle may have died down just a bit. I don’t be come awe struck when I walk in and see the palm trees in a Boston club or the cocktail waitresses and bartenders in bikinis. It seems normal to me now, its what I expect.
            
What I don’t expect is a...
rambunctious crowd at Ocean Club… The atmosphere is “chill” for lack there of a better word. This Sunday was different. Leah experienced a completely different Ocean Club from what I’m used to. The venue was pulsating with energy the moment we walked through the doors. It was packed, people were dancing everywhere you looked and everyone was running around like this was the last show they’d ever see. Leah turned to me at one point, with her jaw slightly hanging and said, “THIS is where you’ve been coming all summer?”
            
The answer was no, this was a different Ocean Club than I’ve been to…Don’t get me wrong, I love Ocean Club, I always leave with a smile on my face but Sunday I could literally feel the energy. People were packed on the dance floor while Bamboorah was on the decks. People were dancing and swimming in the small wading pools. It was craziness all over the venue, but the kind of crazy that puts a smile on your face.
             
The dance floor is usually packed by 11:30 when Bamboorah is finishing up in anticipation for the main DJ. This Sunday however, by 10:45 the dance floor was over flowing. People were dancing wildly-clearly ready for an amazing night ahead.
            
Hardwell opened with his song Spaceman mixed with Goyte’s Somebody That I Used to Know followed by Alesso’s Years, and Bingo Player’s Rattle. He kept the momentum and energy increasing by throwing down a mix of Deadmau5’s Ghosts n Stuff and Sidney Samson’s song Mutate featuring Lil John. By this point the crowd was not just dancing but jumping, hands in the hair, only focused on the incredible set list Hardwell had hypnotized us with. Even the disgusting humidity had no effect on the crowd’s incredible passion.
            
Hardwell continued with hits such as Swedish House Mafia’s Greyhound, Alesso and Sebastian Ingrosso’s Calling and Benny Benassi’s Satisfaction. He mixed these well known hits with high intensity songs such as Dada’s Kick Out The Epic Motherf*cker, Flux Pavilion’s Bass Cannon, Laidback Luke’s 1, 2, 3, 4, and Knife Party’s Internet Friends. Hardwell also played his song with Showtek How We Do, which was unbelievable live. Between the lights and fog the crowds’ love for this song was more than apparent.
            
The intense energy was not the only difference between the other shows I’ve seen at Ocean Club and Hardwell. Hardwell is the only DJ I’ve seen that came back out to after the show had ended and the lights had been turned back on. He ended the show with The Motto by Drake, which brought the crowd back down to Earth.
            
The show was amazing. Definitely one of the best I’ve seen this summer at Ocean Club. The crowd was intense and ready for an unforgettable show from the get-go. It was the kind of night an Ocean Club newbie’s like Leah will look back on and say,  “My first night there was the best!” for me it was an incredible show, with an incredible crowd, and definitely one to talk about for a long time.