Monday, August 20, 2012

PORTER ROBINSON SAYS ‘NO’ TO KATY PERRY

(Dailystar) DJ Porter Robinson turned down Katy Perry so he could stay true to his club roots.

The American is about to blow up after his latest tune Language cracked the midweek Top 10.

But he refuses to follow in the footsteps of other celebrity DJs and turn to pop. Porter, 19, told me: “I’ve had offers from a bunch of triple-A pop acts like Katy Perry to work with them, but I’m not interested.

“It’s a surefire way of damaging your credibility and I just don’t think it’s inspiring. I want to make stuff that I enjoy so I won’t produce anyone else, for now.”

Porter’s inspiration is Deadmau5, a man who never follows the dance pack.

The North Carolina lad added: “I admire him because he’s yet to release a song that sounds like he’s trying to fit into something.”

Language is about to make Porter a household name outside of clubbing circles.

He said: “It’s totally unexpected because I come from a style of aggressive club music, less musical and less commercially viable.

“I just wanted to do something different.

“I’d been listening to film scores and more emotional-sounding stuff. I wanted to capture...
that essence in Language as well as keeping it big, loud and hard.”

But just like his eclectic pal Deadmau5, don’t go expecting more of the same from Porter.

He added: “The next record will be different. Stagnation is the enemy and getting pigeon-holed is one of the worse things that can happen to a DJ.

“It can turn you into not a one-hit wonder but a four-hit wonder. There’s no art in making the same song four times.”